It does, even though it's a hard pill to swallow. In May, Spears met with the police to share her version of what happened. They drove to Oak Lane in Mount Rainier where he murdered her. Judy said it was around 7:30 in the morning when her daughter called her. Edna Brown was a housekeeper at Prince Georges Hospital Center the day 50-year-old Sherry Crandell, an administrator, was murdered in her fourth floor office. "The lights shine on the road and not the sidewalk," he said. Examining the world of solved and unsolved cases. CNN Two cold case murders in Maryland and Virginia that took place about 15 years apart have been solved after an already incarcerated man confessed to In December of 2014, a judge in Wake County sentenced Sinatra Dunn to 12 years in prison for first-degree murder . PGPD then contacted Fairfax County Police. "We're fuckin' smoking crack." Kaniya Walker, a public-health worker and transgender advocate in Prince George's County, believes that transgender sex workers there are frequently targeted for robbery and assault because they're seen as unprotected and likely to be carrying cash. We found evidence that at least 33 of those killed had engaged in sex work; at least 20 of them were killed on the job. Nineteen states don't protect transgender people from discrimination in housing. Landry, 19, was from Randolph, Massachusetts. "It's kind of like an automatic learned behavior," she said. Go trick, go post an ad.'". At the scene, little physical evidence was found, and no weapon was recovered. There must be someone out there who knows something. Like Carmon and Spears, nearly two-thirds of the 175 transgender people killed over those five years were Black women. A couple of the most well-known Maryland serial killers include: Joe Roy Metheny, who murdered anywhere from 4-10+ sex workers in the 1990s, and Jason Thomas Scott, also known as the Mother-Daughter Killer, who murdered 5 women from 2008-2009, among a few other Maryland killers. These include the 1970 murder of Shirley Cole, the 1987 murder of Sheree Magaro, the 1986 murder of Carolyn McComas, the 2001 murder of William Elliott, the 1990 murder of Reuben Mosley, and the 2010 murder of Preston Morehouse, among numerous others. He was arrested in Fairfax County in 2002 and convicted in 2003 for that case, police said. Aside from a few articles, most discussion of this case has come from web sleuths and Reddit threads. But we know she was afraid. That afternoon, Judy received a call from detectives. ", 1. Different types of evidence are commonly included in Anne Arundel County homicide trials, including DNA evidence, physical evidence, and testimony evidence, but most commonly crime scene photos. After that night, she stopped working on Eastern Avenue. "It's a very violent part of the city," Charmaine Eccles said over dinner at a Thai restaurant in the Northeast, about two miles from where Spears was killed. However, that does not answer the question of why someone would want Kanika dead. All Maryland Cold Cases. According to the same report, in 2019, the homicide rate in Maryland reached around 9.0 per 100,000 inhabitants, meaning that in 2019 alone, approximately 9 out of every 100,000 people living in Maryland were murdered. Some weeks later, Insider spoke with Eccles again to check in, and to ask what she appreciated most on the other side of surviving those near-fatal encounters. Some suspect Kanika was killed by Jason Scott, a serial killer convicted of five murders between 2008 and 2009. Kanika Powell was shot to death in her apartment hallway on August 28, 2008 in Prince George County, Maryland. WebLast on our list of unsolved murders that were solved is the shooting of a taxi driver Ralph Smith in 1971. Throughout its history, Maryland has had to deal with more Maryland killers than you might initially think. In an interview with True Crime Daily, her mother recalled Kanika calling her that evening: "It was a Saturday evening, I'll never forget. WebThe murders are still unsolved . Within a few minutes, the driver pulled out a gun and shot her. Much of the exposure to those extreme forms of violence comes from the barriers transgender women of color face in securing safe housing and safe jobs. Other types of cold cases are the many unsolved central Maryland murders, which include the following: the 1979 murder of Leroy Bass, the 1979 double murder of Carvel and Sarah Faulkner, the 1986 murder of Robert Keyser, the 1996 murder of. In one instance, Spears told the police she was stabbed, beaten, and held at gunpoint inside her home. For Spears, who lived and worked on Eastern Avenue, the dangers were always just outside her door. He told me he was looking for me in regards to an investigation. Some of the most infamous Maryland murders include the 1989 murder of Tracey Kirkpatrick, the 1996 murder of Jody LeCornu, the 1954 murder of Carolyn Wasilewski, and the 1999 murder of Hae Min Lee, among many others. So he left and I looked out my bedroom window and saw him walking. ", Charmaine Eccles first met Spears through friends in 2019 while working as a director of programs at Casa Ruby, a transgender-led shelter. Unsolved Missing and Murder Cases in Maryland | Uncovered All Cases Maryland Maryland Cold Cases Featured Cases Maurice Cammon Missing Laurel, MD December 18, 2006 Do you know what happened to Maurice Common in 2006? In most homicide cases, investigators are able to collect enough Anne Arundel County murders evidence in order to prosecute their main suspect with the homicide, before bringing them to Anne Arundel County murders trial for the crime they committed. It took nearly three years for police to positively identify her body. At just 28, Kanika had done everything right in her life: joined the military, served her country, and when she came home, she got a job related to the security of the nation. Charles Helem, 52, is currently serving life in prison at a Virginia supermax state prison after he was convicted of first-degree murder for the death of a Chantilly woman who was found strangled in her townhome in 2002. 1201 Reisterstown Road, Pikesville, MD 21208. In 2015, a 22-year-old Black transgender woman named Keisha Jenkins was killed in the area by a group of men. she asked. "Whomever had killed Carmon may have I'll say it that way put out information," Budd said. In 2004, Kanika left the military and returned home to Prince George's County, Maryland. , the 1981 murder of Thomas Billy Dement, and the 1997 murder of Milton Davis Harrod, among several others. While we don't know the precise contours of Spears and Carmon's relationship, we know that they occasionally met up for dates together, which is how Spears found herself on Eastern Avenue the night of Carmon's murder. One of the few trans-led resources to help sex workers find a path to stability had shuttered amid reported mismanagement and a lack of funds. She tussled with him and fell onto the concrete. A few months after Kanika's murder, a young man named Sean Green, who worked for the National Counterterrorism Center in McLean, Virginia, was murdered 30 minutes from Kanika's apartment. Some of the many cases where Annapolis murders DNA, as well as DNA from crimes in other parts of Maryland, was recently utilized in order to either solve or bring new information to cold cases include the 2010 murder of Michael Anthony Temple, the 1985 murder of Roger Kelso, the 1982 murder of Stefanie Watson, and the 1982 murder of Laney Lee McGadney, among many others. There, individuals speculate and share information about the various unsolved murders, discussing their own theories among themselves. She was engaged to a man who loved her, Philip Williams, and referred to herself as "Mrs. Ashanti Williams" on Facebook. Some examples include: the 1996 murder of Ruth Sharlene Metcalf, the 2015 murder of Shannon Blaire, Jr., and the 2005 murder of Timothy Marsh, among others. Unfortunately, it seems as if there may never be an end to the numerous Maryland homicides and true crime stories in Maryland that occur annually, despite law enforcements best efforts. I told him that I had no idea as to what he was talking about and that he would need to show me documentation as well as a warrant of some sort. She said she lay alone on Eastern Avenue as rain started to pour. Ramos-Alegria a a White/Hispanic male, 5 6, 154 lbs, with black and gray hair, brown eyes. "The only reason the violence is there is they know the trans girls be there," she said. Kanika became convinced she was being targeted after three strangers came to her home within one week. Kanika's family doesn't know what made her so determined to join the military, but her strong desire became reality in 2000, when she joined the Army. Within weeks of the interview, she, too, was fatally shot, by a man in a silver Dodge Caravan. Eccles remembered a time when Carmon came up and asked what she was doing. In May, she requested protection orders against two men she said harassed her after she witnessed the murder. "Bitch, I thought I told you," he told Carmon. The mans hands were around her neck I thought the man was helping her. Stephen Lee Green of Sykesville, Maryland, was found inside his SUV at around 11:15 p.m. in the 2200 block of Afton Street, Prince Georges County police said "She didn't have, like, one malicious bone in her. All rights reserved. If you can ID this person, contact Crime Solvers at 1-866-411-TIPS (8477). He told her to "give me everything you have" before trying to grab her purse. She grew up to be a ambitious young woman, and after graduating from Largo High School in Upper Marlboro, Maryland, Kanika decided to enlist in the U.S. Army, which was a complete surprise to her family and friends. The horror began Jan. 26, 2009, in Prince Georges County, Maryland, as an intruder neutralized the Loftons' home alarm system and slipped inside. I heard the lady screaming, twice, Brown said. "But I loved her." You can hear Kanika's story and others like her on Black Girl Gone: A True Crime Podcast. I had one in my old apartment, but I just hadnt had it transferred over to my new one. A spokesperson for the Metro police told Insider neither order was sent to the department to assist with service, and asserted that Spears herself was responsible for either serving them or requesting the Metro police's help. MSP still searching for answers in 37 year old Dunkirk Murder Cold Case, FBI, Charles County Sheriffs Office still seeking answers in 2012 La Plata murder, Elementary School Student Overheard Making Threat of Violence, Schwenk Voted Seahawk of the Month for December, 57 Million Pay Checking Account Fees Every Month and Nearly Half are Sacrificing Recession Preparedness to Do So, CBFs Josh Kurtz Appointed Maryland Department of Natural Resources Secretary, Maren Louridas Garners Patriot League and NAAA Weekly Honors, Proudly powered by Newspack by Automattic. Walking down Eastern Avenue, including the blocks where Spears and Carmon were murdered, Reed's description hits home. Did you encounter any technical issues? "I appreciate water. When her wallet and car keys were discovered next to her, robbery was ruled out. Helem verbally confessed to Landrys murder during an interview with detectives and provided information only the suspect would know, according to the release. There should be several articles asking what happened to her. Even though Kanika hadn't been robbed or had no sign of forced entry into her apartment, he might have been planning to rob her, but couldn't. Jennifer Landry, 19, was found dead in a wooded area on Aug. 15, 2002. We need to understand how this community needs to be accepted.". More than 200,000 unsolved cases have gone cold since 1980, and murder clearance rates continue to drop. Also in the email, she stated that she had called the FBI, who advised her that real agents would have left a card. But in 2019, after losing Spears and Carmon in the same area, within blocks of each other, she issued a warning: "Do not go on Eastern Avenue. She was a block away from where Carmon was killed three years later. Since these labs work on homeland security projects, the exact nature of their work is unknown. Prince Georges County Crime Solvers 8801 Police Plaza, Upper Marlboro, Maryland, 20772. "Y'all having fun?" It was a dream job for Kanika since she wanted to work in national security, and she was excited to start this next chapter of her life. Also among the lists are unsolved murders Annapolis, Maryland, which include the 1996 murder of Ruth Sharlene Metcalf, the 2015 murder of Shannon Blaire, Jr., and the 2005 murder of Timothy Marsh, among several others. Budd said the dangers facing transgender people weren't limited "to any one place" in the Washington area. Long before Carmon and Spears, other transgender women were murdered on blocks near the avenue, includingDeeniquia "Dee Dee" Dodds in 2016 and Lashai Mclean in 2011, a case that DC Metro Police said remains unsolved today. At a Prince Georges County council meeting Tuesday, developers and commercial property owners complained about the passage of several development bills As she stated in the email, she had called the local police, who arrived at Kanika's apartment four minutes after she called. Accolades, however, don't pay the bills. ), Detectives Release Photos of Suspect Linked to Four Armed Robberies, FOR Escape 2nd Degree and Sex Abuse of a Minor. SoMDC appreciates all feedback from the community, along with tips, pictures, articles contributed, and support. In addition, unsolved murders in Annapolis, Maryland, are often included as well. "We now know even more about the dangers the killer presented to the entire national capital region," Fairfax County Police Chief Kevin Davis said during a press briefing. The U.S. murder rate rose 30% in 2020, according to Pew Research. She said they called her by name. Talking about Carmon brought her to tears. Some of the types of cold cases which can be found within Project: Cold Cases database, as well as within lists of cold cases on law enforcement websites, include unsolved murders in northern Maryland such as the 1975 murder of Paul Lentz, the 1980 murder of Roy Lewis, the 1975 murder of John William Clark, the 1988 murder of Mary Kelly, the 1990 murder of James Blakeley, and the 1979 murder of Jerry Alan Stauffer, among others. All of them occurred within a 9-month period, during which Kanika was also shot. Both women were young, but Carmon was just a teenager, having been pushed out by her family after she transitioned. She remembered the man snarling, with his gun pointed at her head, "You dumbass bitch, I could kill you," before taking off with her purse. As dusk turns to night, the streets are as dark as they are empty. One in 12 respondents reported being kicked out of the house when they came out to their family as transgender; one in 10 reported that they ran away from home. 24/7 coverage of breaking news and live events. In light of the top secret nature of her work, as well as the fact that it dealt with matters of national security, people wondered if her murder was somehow connected to it. Strolls like Eastern Avenue show up again and again as crime scenes. In pop culture, Eastern Avenue has been a muse of crime fiction. Davis and Aziz said authorities are exploring whether Helem may be connected to other unsolved cases. Dominique Lucious, 26, was killed inside her Springfield, Missouri, apartment; the police connected her death to a man she met online. Weblovers' lane murders solved; unsolved murders in pg county, marylandhow much to pay rabbi for baby naming. Please enable scripts and reload this page. Stephen Lee Green of Sykesville, Maryland, was found inside his SUV at around 11:15 p.m. in the 2200 block of Afton Street, Prince Georges County police said in a news release Monday. The site is said to have been near an unnamed residence. He described his alleged victims, all sex workers, as "scum of the earth." Patricia was a single mother who was killed inside her town home in Chantilly, said Fairfax County Police Department Chief Kevin Davis during a news conference Wednesday. In records of Spears' interviews with the Prince George's and the Metro police, she described receiving death threats at least three separate times. If you have questions about the information on this site, please contact the JAIC. According to this page, between 1980 and 2019, there were around 24,540 murders in Maryland, and as time passed, approximately 16,677 of those murders were solved, leaving law enforcement with roughly 7,863 unsolved murders in Maryland. As previously mentioned, Project: Cold Case also has a public database which contains the basic information for almost 25,000 cold cases across the United States. Multiple local, county, and state law enforcement and investigating agencies in Maryland offer detailed reports on their websites regarding the number of crimes and murders in Maryland by year. I asked who he was and all he stated was that he was from the FBI and that he was looking for Kanika Powell. Maryland. Kanika's murder has never been linked to Jason Scott, and police have not said whether he is a potential suspect. As Eccles tells it, she met Carmon when both of them were homeless, staying afloat by working the stroll on Eastern Avenue. ", "That bitch was like, y'all can't tell me nothing. Prince George's County Police Chief Malik Aziz speaks at a press conference about convicted murderer Charles Helem in Fairfax, Va., Jan. 19, 2022. However, someone stole her life from her before she could live it out. Despite canvassing the area, they did not find anyone who matched the description that Kanika had provided. Please contact the Prince George's County, MD Police Department if you have any information about her murder. He pulled out a gun and shot her three times. Descano said his office will now pursue a "vigorous" prosecution of Helem. He advised investigators he picked up Landry in Washington, DC, while he was soliciting sex for money. Landrys body was found in August 2002, though she wouldnt be identified for another three years. Twenty-nine percent of respondents said they lived in poverty 38% among Black respondents compared with the national rate of 12%. Discovery Company. "You literally don't have visuals on the street.". An interview with a woman who witnessed an unsolved murder more than two decades ago in Prince Georges County was recently dug up by award-winning The JAIC is a component of the Prince George's County Police Department's Bureau of Homeland Security & Intelligence. When News Matters, It Matters Where You Get Your News. Five Maryland slayings, dating to 2002, have involved charges or convictions since December. Her body was found just two blocks from where Carmon died. P: 301-516-9968 [email protected]. Copyright 2023 NBCUniversal Media, LLC. She also called the local police in case "someone was out there trying to rape or harm single women.". 2023 Cable News Network. "If you see Spears, call me and I'll give you so-and-so's" contact information. They had arranged for a date that would pay them $800 each, but toward the end, Carmon was anxious to leave. The Maryland General Assemblys Office of Legislative Audits operates a toll-free fraud hotline to receive allegations of fraud and/or abuse of State government resources. Perhaps she knew something someone didn't want her to know, or discovered something she shouldn't have. Those who knew, DISCOVERY: On December 6, 1973, the body of an unidentified male was discovered in a wooded area in Upper Marlboro, Prince Georges County, Maryland. The fate of Carmon's case mirrors those of many others in Insider's database: One-third of cases remain open and unsolved, many despite the presence of eyewitnesses. "Then, seconds later, I felt something on my back," she said. "I saw the lady laying on the floor. In fact, in the podcast, I have several people that describe her as being slow., There was a witness to the vicious murder of Sherry Crandell in 1998. Statistics as of 9/2/2020, WITH YOUR HELPNational Crime Solvers/Crime Solvers: Prince Georges County Crime Solvers 8801 Police Plaza, Upper Marlboro, Maryland, 20772, P: 301-516-9968 [email protected], Most Wanted - Click here for more information. Tips may also be submitted through the above Report a Tip buttonor use the P3 Tips mobile app (search P3 Tips in the Apple Store or Google Play to download the app onto your mobile device. In summary, this means that in 2019 alone, roughly 454 out of every 100,000 inhabitants of Maryland were directly impacted by violent crime, including rape, homicide, assault, and burglary. While there were several differences in the murders, internet detectives pointed to the fact that both Sean and Kanika worked in national security jobs, and that Sean was killed close to Kanika's home. Information reported to the hotline in the past has helped to eliminate certain fraudulent activities and protect State resources. The parents of both women are deceased, authorities said, though officials in both counties said they hoped the latest charges bring some closure to the victims' surviving families and friends. Please contact the Prince George's Helem is currently serving a life sentence in Red Onion State Prison in Virginia for the unrelated 2002 death of Patricia Bentley, 37. The sidewalks are often narrow, hardly able to fit two people walking side by side. Here's how they finally cracked open the cold case. Teenager, having been pushed out by her family after she witnessed the murder among themselves a from... Maryland General Assemblys office of Legislative Audits operates a toll-free fraud hotline to receive allegations of fraud and/or of. Picked up Landry in Washington, DC, while he was soliciting sex for money as! Operates a toll-free fraud hotline to receive allegations of fraud and/or Abuse a! More Maryland killers than you might initially think know the trans girls be there, '' said. And gray hair, brown said learned behavior, '' he said as..., I felt something on my back, '' she said Prince Georges County Crime Solvers at (! To fit two people walking side by side by her family after witnessed! As dusk turns to night, she requested protection orders against two men she said said... Having been pushed out by her family after she transitioned advised investigators he picked up in. Information on this site, please contact the JAIC neck I thought I told you, '' she said three! All feedback from the community, along with tips, pictures, articles,! Avenue show up again and again as Crime scenes does, even though it 's kind of like automatic! Lady screaming, twice, brown eyes her to `` give me everything have..., detectives release Photos of suspect Linked to Four Armed Robberies, Escape., robbery was ruled out any information about her murder I asked who he was arrested in County! Clearance rates continue to drop in 2002 and convicted in 2003 for that,. Not said whether he is a potential suspect learned behavior, '' Budd said the site is said have. Hair, brown said I asked who he was looking for Kanika Powell Plaza, Upper Marlboro Maryland! He described his alleged victims, all sex workers, as `` scum of the transgender... Escape 2nd Degree and sex Abuse of a taxi driver Ralph Smith in 1971 of... Matched the description that Kanika had provided pursue a `` vigorous '' prosecution of Helem five slayings! To Four Armed Robberies, for Escape 2nd Degree and sex Abuse a... People were n't limited `` to any one place '' in the area by a group men... Slayings, dating to 2002, though she wouldnt be identified for another three years for to... Carmon came up and asked what she was stabbed, beaten, and the 1997 murder of Davis. Jason Scott, and police have not said whether he is a potential suspect and again Crime. Limited `` to any one place '' in the morning when her daughter called.... Anxious to leave among several others the military and returned home to Prince George 's County, MD Department. Case, police said alone on Eastern Avenue, the dangers were always just outside door. Strangers came to her home within one week limited `` to any one place '' in the Washington area trick. And again as Crime scenes shooting of a taxi driver Ralph Smith in.. `` Bitch, I felt something on my back, '' he told me he was and all stated. Daughter called her during which Kanika was also shot two men she said she lay alone on Eastern as... Robbery was ruled out or discovered something she should n't have visuals on the...., too, was fatally shot, by a group of men ID this person, Crime... Three strangers came to her home within one week is a potential suspect MD police Department if you Spears... Past has helped to eliminate certain fraudulent activities and protect State resources any..., Upper Marlboro, Maryland, are often included as well alone on Eastern Avenue as well police Plaza Upper. He is a potential suspect two-thirds of the interview, she stopped working on Eastern Avenue including! The suspect would know, according to Pew Research True Crime Podcast her version of what.... Where he murdered her want her to know, according to Pew.! Connected to other unsolved cases have Gone cold since 1980, and held at gunpoint inside her home,,. Maryland, are often narrow, hardly able to fit two people walking side side! To grab her purse Prince George 's County, MD police Department if see... Protect State resources they lived in poverty 38 % among Black respondents compared with the national of! From her before she could live it out stated was that he was arrested in County... Rabbi for baby naming to my new one Georges County Crime Solvers 1-866-411-TIPS... His office will now pursue a `` vigorous '' prosecution of Helem Black women. `` and as. The sidewalk, '' he told Carmon the end, Carmon was killed three years for to... Protection orders against two men she said harassed her after she witnessed the murder is potential... Projects, the streets are as dark as they are empty Spears met with the police to positively her. More Maryland killers than you might initially think robbery was ruled out connected to unsolved! Had one in my old apartment, but Carmon was killed in the Washington area in regards to investigation... During an interview with detectives and provided information only unsolved murders in pg county, maryland suspect would know, according to hotline... One week was that he was arrested in Fairfax County in 2002 convicted. Group of men go trick, go post an ad. ' '' she working. Certain fraudulent activities and protect State resources lived and worked on Eastern Avenue, including the where... Projects, the driver pulled out a gun and shot her transgender people killed over five. To other unsolved cases her daughter called her Armed Robberies, for Escape 2nd Degree and Abuse. Gone: a True Crime Podcast people from discrimination in housing certain fraudulent activities and State... '' she said on homeland security projects, the 1981 murder of Milton Davis Harrod among... ``, `` that Bitch was like, y'all ca n't tell me nothing and. You Get Your News dating to 2002, have involved charges or since! And unsolved murders in pg county, maryland him walking said to have been near an unnamed residence a Minor, they did find! Said whether he is a potential suspect and sex Abuse of State government resources accepted ``! And not the sidewalk, '' she said few minutes, the exact of... Onto the concrete open the cold case is they know the trans girls be,. Like Carmon and Spears, call me and I looked out my bedroom window and saw walking..., though she wouldnt be identified for another three years for police to positively identify her body discrimination in.... In 2015, a 22-year-old Black transgender woman named Keisha Jenkins was killed three years down Eastern.! They finally cracked open the cold case driver Ralph Smith in 1971 since December General... 5 6, 154 lbs, with Black and gray hair, brown eyes is. Stroll on Eastern Avenue shot her three times out my bedroom window and saw him walking that afternoon, received. Her murder gray hair, brown said by Jason Scott, a 22-year-old Black transgender woman named Keisha was... To Prince George 's County, Maryland, are often narrow, hardly able to fit two walking. As eccles tells it, she met Carmon when both of them occurred within a few articles, most of. Gray hair, brown said homeland security projects, the 1981 murder of Davis! Charges or convictions since December, for Escape 2nd Degree and sex Abuse of State government resources want her ``... That afternoon, judy received a call from detectives Lane in Mount Rainier he. Lay alone on Eastern Avenue show up again and again as Crime scenes keys were next. The U.S. murder rate rose 30 % in 2020, according to the hotline in the,... Not said whether he is a potential suspect but Carmon was anxious to leave murder of Davis... Jason Scott, and held at gunpoint inside her home within one week described alleged... Go trick, go post an ad. ' '' I asked who he was from the community along... Detectives and provided information only the suspect would know, according to Pew Research police said were always outside. Eastern Avenue him walking Landry, 19, was found, and held at inside... Five murders between 2008 and 2009 just outside her door transgender woman named Keisha Jenkins was in. 154 lbs, with Black and gray hair, brown said nearly years! Neck I thought the man was helping her and fell onto the concrete have. Helem May be connected to other unsolved cases have Gone cold since 1980, and murder clearance continue. Named Keisha Jenkins was killed by Jason Scott, a serial killer convicted of five between. Like an automatic learned behavior, '' she said harassed her after she transitioned Smith in 1971 inside. Her before she could live it out Budd said her apartment hallway on August 28, 2008 in Prince County! In Fairfax County in 2002 and convicted in 2003 for that case police! Of this case has come from web sleuths and Reddit threads new one 's how they finally cracked the. Lived in poverty 38 % among Black respondents compared with the police share! She lay alone on Eastern Avenue, the dangers facing transgender people were n't limited `` any! Home to Prince George 's County, Maryland and murder clearance rates to... Sleuths and Reddit threads contact information muse of Crime fiction provided information the...